It's really important to set limits on sugary food when your child is prone to having a sweet tooth. Little ones will always want to have sweet food but too often this will create bad habits that are harder to break when they get older. Tackling the issue when their young and swapping sugary treats with a healthy alternative that will satisfy their craving is a great way to start. The best approach is never to offer a sweet snack as a reward or the withdrawal of one, as a punishment. Instead incorporate a fruit based pudding or dessert or a snack of a biscuit and a piece of fruit into their daily meal plan. A dessert should be offered after a savoury meal when the child is less hungry. Pipin Pear Freggie-Bites are a fun healthy alternative to a sugary snack. They have no added sugars or salt. They are made from fruit and vegetables and are naturally sweet so as to satisfy any sweet tooth in the family - From 12 Months +. Plus they're one of your little ones 5 a day!
Here are some examples of how you can minimise the sugar and offer some desserts and snacks your little one will love!
- Chopped Banana and apple.
- Sugarsnap Peas and chopped sweet peppers
- Yoghurt mixed with a spoonful of low sugar jam
- Frozen yoghurt
- Warm porridge with a drizzle of maple syrup
- rice cakes with yoghurt
- A 16g pack of Pipin Pear Freggie-Bites Apple Blackcurrant & Pumpkin
- A 16 pack of Pipin Pear Freggie Bites Apple & Spinach or Carrot & Peach